Linggo, Mayo 13, 2012


Mom's greatest lessons

This Mother’s Day, let’s celebrate the wisdom of motherhood.

by: Maribeth Duque Mallari






The lessons we remember from our mothers do not usually come from what they told us to do as we were growing up, but from how they lived. What valuable lesson did your mom teach you that you want to pass on to your daughter… who will most probably become a mother too someday?   

1. Generosity
Dezza Pastor wants to pass on her mom’s generosity of spirit to her daughter, Aris. “My mom will do anything to make a loved one, close friend or family member, feel better.  More than material generosity, my mom shows how much she values you by sharing her most precious asset, her time and energy,” she says. “As a mom myself, I am more than aware of how it feels to be spread very thinly. I recognize how valuable my time can be. I ‘may not have time’ to socialize regularly or often enough, but my loved ones know that I will drop everything if they truly need me.”   

2. Love for God
Both Criselle Alejandro and Rissa Kawpeng thank their mothers for bringing them close to God.

“There are so many things I wish to pass on to my daughters that I learned from my mom. First is her love for the Lord. That's the greatest legacy she gave me,” says Rissa.

Criselle agrees and also says, “Having a close relationship with the Lord” really stands out from what she has learned from her mom. “I will definitely pass this on to my daughter,” she adds.

3. The value of today
The lesson Christine Kang learned from her mother is, “The value of focusing on what needs to be addressed today so that one can look forward to tomorrow, instead of wallowing in yesterday's mistakes or regrets.” No day but today indeed.

4. Commitment to Dad
Rissa Kawpeng admired how dedicated her mother was to her dad. “I never heard her raise her voice to him or say anything negative about him. She had a kind heart and never held a grudge against others.”  

5. Selflessness
When Sheila Galon moved to Canada, her mom had take on the housework. She remembers that if her dad was tired and couldn’t go to work, he had the option of calling in sick, but her mom never had that option. “I noticed my mom's dedication to her family. She did everything without complaint, but with much love. She was at ‘work’ 24/7, unpaid, and could not call in sick,” she says. “Now that I am a mom, I really appreciate more what my mom has done for us. This is something I want to pass on to my kids as well.”

6. Integrity
While growing up, Emily Yap noticed her mom’s strong moral principles. “I learned the value of integrity from my mother,” she shares. “I would like my daughter Hailey to value integrity and to have that sense of integrity as she passes through life.”

7. Value of good writing
Sitting you down to practice writing essays may not be something you’d be grateful to anyone for, but Criselle Alejandro thanks her mom for this lesson. “When I was in grade five, my mom made me practice writing compositions every day,” she explains. “That developed my writing skills and has proven beneficial to me in my life.”

8. Love through actions
Pia Camus and Julie Lipayon both noticed how their mothers showed their love in the way they took care of their children.

“Mom did not talk much. She led by example,” reminisces Pia. “I learned compassion and kindness from her. Please and thank you were big words with her. It is my wish to see these virtues lived by our four children.”

“One thing I would especially want to pass on to my girls is the value of quiet love,” shares Julie. “The kind of love that seeks no acknowledgement or praise, it just exists for the person that is being loved. My mom isn’t very expressive through words, but I cannot think of a time that she did not love us through her actions. It's in all the little things that she constantly does for us, without saying anything, that make our lives seem to run so smoothly.”
 

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento